Thursday, July 17, 2008

Book of Wisdom

The more I read the book of Romans, the more I see connections between Paul's writings and the book of Wisdom. It seems as though Paul is using Wisdom as his source to thresh out theologically what that book was talking about in light of the resurrection of Christ. So many passages are parallel to each other, that you can't ignore that Wisdom had to be a source and Paul was writing from familiarity and love for the book. I know that somewhere out there a Catholic Theologian or Church Father wrote extensively about the links between these two books. Anyone know where it is or notice the same things I have?

Wisdom 14 and Romans 1
Wisdom 2:23 and Romans 1:
Wisdom 2:24 and Romans 5

These are just a few off the top of my head.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Wow, great blog site! Thanks for sharing!

Greg said...

Oops, meant to post that under the "related blog site" thread. Sorry.

You are right though, there are many passages from the New Testament that directly relate to some of the Apocryphal books. I know there are several related to Maccabees passages (some direct quotes from Christ), but I can't recall directly off the top of my head what they are. Now I have to do some homework!

~Joseph the Worker said...

I and II Maccabees are two books I need to study more. I've been so caught up in the glory of Wisdom that I don't know what to do.

Greg said...

Wisdom is most definitely more inspiring reading than the historical aspects of Maccabees. But I think you mentioned somewhere earlier, there are parts of Maccabees that I'm sure made Martin Luther shudder. Praying for the dead? That isn't in scripture! it is just some silly Popish idea to make some money for the Church! Luther most definitely had to get rid of Maccabees in order to support his new theology.