Tuesday, July 29, 2008

7 Things - Religious Twist

So I was tagged at Catholic Notebook to do this post where I tell 7 random facts or habits about myself. Since I vowed that I would only use this blog to talk about the Catholic Faith and my personal journey, but I still want to do this, I'm going to put a religious twist on it, and give you 7 religious facts about myself.

1) I grew up in the Church of Christ (Institutional) and later converted to the Church of Christ (Non-Institutional)

2) I was confirmed as a Catholic at the Easter Vigil (This year, 2008).

3) I get irritated because I am not allowed to kneel after the Agnus Dei.

4) I am a lector.

5) I have a weird mental issue that prevents me from taking the Body of Christ by hand - I kept feeling like I had little pieces left over even though my hands were clean, so now I take Communion by mouth.

6) I love old-style and architectured Churches, and I hate the modern styles, especially "Mass in the Round".

7) I seriously wish my parish had a pipe organ, and if I won the lottery that would be one of my first purchases.

5 comments:

Soutenus said...

I absolutely LOVE how you completed this meme. I wish I had thought of it.
I am so happy and grateful that you came home to the Catholic Church. I don't think I realized it was just this year. How wonderful!
Again, KUDOS on how you gave this a religious twist!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know it was just 2008 either. You sound so learned; great job studying. And great job on your list. Could you please explain #3. I'm an ill-informed non-RC that doesn't understand what this means. God bless.

~Joseph the Worker said...

Thanks to both of you! As for number 3, in the liturgy of the Church, before Holy Communion and because we believe the bread and wine to be the Body and Blood of our Lord, we do what is called the Agnus Dei, in English "Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world, have mercy on us....." which we repeat several times (usually sung on Sundays) with the final time ending in "Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world, grant us peace". At that time the Priest holds up the Body and Blood and says "This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world, happy are those called to his supper". We respond "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you but only say the word and I shall be healed (see the Centurion's response to Christ in the Bible)" During that response in some diocese, you kneel. I like to kneel out of respect, but our Bishop has determined that we should stand. I just don't like to remain standing there, I think it takes the focus off of Christ's presence!

Anonymous said...

Gotcha. That makes sense, thanks. When my friend converted last year, she said it was all she could do from staying off of the floor, prostrate. I think I get that. (I am familiar with those words in the liturgy -- didn't know that's what it was called -- I thought, surely he doesn't mean the song on MWS's worship CD....)

~Joseph the Worker said...

I remember reading somewhere a Baptist preacher saying if he believed what we did about the Eucharist he would come to Church on his news every Sunday. That's exactly what many people do when they go visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe: http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3402485.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=BD2794AE0B3E23ADB467192957B43AF2A55A1E4F32AD3138