Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Second Week of Lent - Tuesday

Last year:

The poor are something I have struggled with my whole life and only recently began to have pity and love for. Probably because of my background (social and prior-religious), I've always looked on the poor as people who needed to do better for themselves...not someone we should look after. Now I realize that we should do everything we can to help them and love them like Christ did. What are some things we can do for the poor?

Pray for them.

Fast for them.

Give the money from our fasting to them for food/water/clothing/shelter.

These things all fall in line well with Lent. We can also do things like volunteer to help them fix their houses, volunteer at food pantries and donate food, be involved in education in rural poor regions.


I think this is one area that I have made some significant improvement since last year - but I still have a long way to go.  We had the wonderful experience of working with the poor last year for a service trip we took for a week.  That really helped me feel more for the poor and develop a love and care for them.  At the same time, I think over the last few months that has faded somewhat and my providing for the poor has only kicked back up a notch since we have entered Lent.  

No comments: