Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ebbs and Flows

My friend The Catholic Journeyman left a post over on his blog about Catholic bloggers.  I highly recommend you fellow bloggers to go check it out and respond.  I would like to thresh out my thoughts a little more about myself too.  As I have been writing on this blog for a few months now, I notice that it parallels my spiritual life in many ways.  I think mine (and most people's) spirituality ebbs and flows, like a tide coming in and out.  Each time it comes in, however, it is stronger than before in my case, I feel closer and closer to God.  Each time it goes out, it doesn't go as far, and I don't get as distracted as I used to.  I don't fall into temptation as often as I used to.  Closer and closer we come until eventually we can be with God in Heaven (purgatory might help out here too).  Even the saints would write about "Dark nights of the soul".  We need to pray for one another and with one another to grow in faith and love and hope.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Absolutely wonderful post, Joseph! I totally agree, and can relate to what you are saying. Yes, many dark nights of the soul (some even kind of lately too). I especially like the part about praying for one another. I'm sure we all need it.

THS said...

Blogging has helped me stay on course reading the bible more often than i used to.
I keep my blogger friends in my prayers.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

Good analogy, Joseph. I am this way too -- when I feel closer to God, I write more on my blog. Except, I think lately it's just been laziness. I don't know how much longer I'm going to keep mine without writing on it and still be able to justify having it. It's like I've gone on strike or something.

~Joseph the Worker said...

Matt, the Holy Spirit is trying to keep you silenced until you become Catholic :P