Saturday, August 2, 2008

Stewards of Our Bodies

As much as I heard in the Protestant Church about not drinking alcohol and not smoking, we rarely heard about what is probably an even more severe health problem, gluttony. With the majority (Around 65%!) of the country being overweight, and almost 35% being obese, we have opened our bodies to incredible risk of heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, etc. etc. etc. Something I love about the Catholic Church is that it puts a more balanced emphasis on all these things. You can have a glass of wine with dinner, but you should not torture your body with 100 Cheeseburgers a day.

With that in mind, I'm slightly overweight (not obese) and Seraphina was nearing the max of her healthy weight. We decided to shed some pounds and eat healthier foods. Please pray for us and keep us in your hearts.

Being a good steward of your body is important to God!

Edit by Seraphina:
If you're curious about what Joseph and I are eating, I'm keeping track of it on my other blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had this little "argument" (which is too strong of a word) about this smoking issue on my blog, here, if you care to read it. Short version: I don't really think smoking is a sin, although maybe it can be for some people.

And about the whole gluttony issue, I'm pretty guilty of it :-). But I do keep Slim-Fasts in my refrigerator; they just kind of sit there for weeks on end.

~Joseph the Worker said...

Oh I'm so tempted to post on there, but I'll let sleeping dogs lie..