Saturday, September 27, 2008

RCIA

I had the chance to revisit RCIA last Thursday - this time as a guest speaker. Man was it weird to me. Since RCIA is in our chapel/library of the Newman Center, it is in the same place each year. Sitting there with all those candidates and catechumens (this was the first class and we already had over 15 - about half of which had never been baptized! That means we're on target to break last year's 24 candidates and catechumens!) flooded back vivid memories of my first day in RCIA last November; the nervousness, the paranoia of not knowing what you are doing. All that passed very quickly in the hands of our Deacon and the Catechism.

I almost broke down in tears thinking about how badly I wanted to get finished with the process last year and start taking the Eucharist. And now I'm here, and can even share experiences with others! There was another former Sunday School teacher (like me) in the class. I got to talk to him quite a bit after I shared my experiences and background.

Anyway, please pray for candidates and catechumens everywhere.

2 comments:

The Catholic Journeyman said...

I am co-leading our class of 20 this year with our DRE. Their journeys' are widely varied as well which presents large challenges. While I am a Cradle Cath...by contrast you get to lend them your experience in that room of recent. These first weeks and months are very delicate for some in class...we pray hard for their comprehension.
-Dave

~Joseph the Worker said...

I'll pray for your class! Great to hear from you again.